With summer just around the corner, for girls one of our biggest insecurities is the dreaded CELLULITE!!!! Cellulite is just fat deposit beneath the skin that makes the surface of the skin appear a little “lumpy”. I really only have cellulite on the backs of my thighs but it can appear on people’s hips, stomach, and butt.
I am going to share with you my favorite way to not only REDUCE the appearance of cellulite, but exfoliate your skin to get it silky smooth for summer!
You may have heard of dry skin brushing before, but if you have not, it is probably one of my favorite beauty tips known to man! There are many benefits to dry skin brushing and one of the biggest ones is a reduction in the appearance of cellulite. Here are a few other typical benefits:
- Increase circulation
- Eliminate toxins (leading to cellulite)
- Even out skin tone
Personally, I have noticed that my skin is a lot softer and the cellulite on the backs of my thighs has reduced, but it does take time. Also, the first time I dry brushed, it did feel extremely rough and scratchy but that is normal and you will get used to it. It is typical for your skin to be more sensitive after the first time you dry brush just because it is a pretty extreme exfoliant. I love the feeling after though, my skin feels extremely soft and it tingly.
This is an example of what a typical dry brush looks like. I got mine from Target for $5, but you can find them on Amazon or any health food store as well. Just be sure that the bristles are NOT plastic.
If you are thinking about dry brushing, there is a certain way it should be done:
- Dry brush before you take a shower, when your body is completely dry (no lotion). This can be done at any time of the day.
- Start with your feet and brush upward all the way to the tops of the thighs in long single strokes.
- Go over each area twice (I do not recommend doing more than twice because it can make your skin too sensitive)
- Brush in circular motions around your bellybutton and the backs of your thighs.
- Brush upward on your hips and back
- Brush in circular motions on your butt.
- AVOID underarms, bikini line, breasts, face/neck.
- Start from the hands and brush upward towards your shoulders (go over twice, long single strokes).
- Rinse your brush afterward.
If I did not answer all of your questions, there are tons of videos on YouTube that show you how to dry brush because there is a method to the madness. If you are really wanting that soft and glowing cellulite- free skin then I would definitely try this out! It is something to get used to but it quickly becomes relaxing and I love the results!