I already have a post raving about the magic skincare powers of Manuka honey, but I wanted to post an updated review of this amazing product!
About a year ago, I started suffering from a random outbreak of hormonal acne all along my cheeks and jawline. It was extremely frustrating and I tried so many different products to try to fix the issue. I finally landed on Manuka honey and I have been using it pretty much every day since! Using Manuka honey regularly as a topical skincare treatment has decreased my texture, acne scarring, and uneven skin tone by about 99%!
Keep reading to find out how I use Manuka honey as a skincare treatment, purchasing tips, and other benefits of adding Manuka honey to your everyday skincare routine.
This picture above was taken in natural lighting with no filters or photo editing. I am also not wearing any makeup whatsoever. I do have a little bit of discoloration under my eyes and around my mouth, but any acne scarring and texture that I used to have has completely gone away!
Manuka Doctor is the brand of honey that I use! There are other great brands out there, but this is the one that is available in-store at my local grocery store. It is also a great price for Manuka honey (about $21 a jar).
Manuka Honey vs. Regular Table Honey
One of the main differences between Manuka and regular table honey is their origin. Table honey tends to be very inconsistent when it comes to quality, origin, age, and contents. On the other hand, Manuka honey comes from the Manuka plant, which can only be found in New Zealand. This means that there is no inconsistency in its origin and is better regulated in terms of its contents. Another reason why Manuka honey is far superior to table honey is its higher concentration of antibacterial and ant-inflammatory properties; this is measured in MGOs or methylglyoxal. Some studies show that the MGOs in Manuka honey are found to be nearly 100 times greater than in regular table honey. You will also often times see numbers such as 10+, 15+, or even 25+ on the labels of Manuka honey jars and this is the measurement of how potent the anti-inflammatory properties are in that particular jar of honey. This score is referred to as the UMF or Unique Manuka Factor. The higher the UMF, the more expensive the honey is.
- Make sure it says “Product of New Zealand” on the label. This is extremely important because anything labeled as Manuka honey that is not from New Zealand is not authentic Manuka honey.
- I recommend purchasing a Manuka honey with a UMF score of 15+ or more. You will still receive benefits of a 10+ honey, but this is closer to just regular table honey.
- Make sure you are purchasing from a reliable brand. I like the Manuka Doctor brand because it is reputable and their product is 100% genuine raw Manuka honey.
- There is no such thing as cheap Manuka honey. If you come across a product that is significantly less expensive than most, it probably is not the real thing.
How I use Manuka Honey
I like to use Manuka honey as a daily mask or as a spot treatment. Before applying the honey, I always make sure that my skin is clean by using a gentle cleanser or micellar water. I apply a few globs all over my face and spread it around with my fingers. I like to leave this on for as long as I can, but a minimum of 30 minutes. Sometimes I will even leave it on for a couple of hours if I am just hanging around the house! I pretty much use the exact same steps when using the honey as a spot treatment. I dab a little bit onto the blemish with my finger or Q-Tip and let it sit there for as long as possible. When I am ready to take off the honey, I rinse my face gently with warm water and pat dry with a towel. My skin feels extremely soft and hydrated afterwards!
Also, if you tend to pick at your blemishes and the results are red, swollen bumps all over your face, Manuka honey will be your best friend! Since it is so high in anti-inflammatory properties, it soothes the skin and reduces irritation extremely well. This being said, Manuka honey is also great for ant bites, mosquito bites, dry patches, burns, and other skincare issues.
- Anti-aging benefits with consistent use
- Can help in reducing dark under eye circles
- Works as a great spot treatment for acne
- Extremely nourishing and hydrating for the skin
- Helps reduce skin texture and dryness- great for people with Eczema
- Less expensive than many other high-end skincare products- plus this is a natural product with no added chemicals!
- High nutritional value- add it to your tea or as a substitute for regular honey!
- Helps boost immune system
And the list goes on and on!
** Information in this post was based on my personal experiences using this product. The factual information about Manuka honey itself was pulled from a few sites: Livstrong.com, thehealthcloud.co.uk, manukahoney.com