Recently, my passion for the beauty industry has shifted more towards skincare than dramatic makeup looks. While I still love makeup and enjoy its opportunity for artistic creativity, I have really been making skincare my #1 priority. After all, having skin is the key to a great makeup day!
I have tried so many different skincare products and am finally 100% content with my current routine. I use very simple, natural products and they have made the biggest difference for my skin. I currently have NO TEXTURE and NO ACNE! Occasionally I will get a little hormonal pimple, but it goes away in a day or two if I keep up this routine.
I have oily skin, but these products (with the exception of a couple) can be used for all skin types. I am not an esthetician or have any kind of professional training when it comes to skincare, but this routine has worked so well for me and I wanted to share!
My Morning Skincare Routine
Step 1: Cleanse with the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
- This cleanser is meant for normal to oily skin. If you have dry skin, the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser is a great option!
- This cleanser contains hyaluronic acid and has a liquid/gel texture
- Sometimes, I will also just splash my face with water and skip cleanser in the morning.
Step 2: Tone with Witch Hazel/ Apple Cider Vinegar
- One of the worst things you can do for your skin is use a harsh astringent that contains alcohol. Witch Hazel is an all-natural toner/astringent and is completely alcohol free.
- I will alternate between Witch Hazel and Apple Cider Vinegar for this step.
Step 3: Moisturize with the CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- This is a lightweight moisturizing lotion and is great for all skin types!
- Contains hyaluronic acid as well.
- I also mix in my daily facial sunscreen with the moisturizer just to save a step.
*** ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN ***
*** Once a day, I will apply a Manuka Honey mask. I use pure Manuka Honey and will leave this on for at least 30 minutes/ 1 hour. I have an entire post dedicated to my love for Manuka Honey and how much it has helped my skin so check it out!
My Evening Skincare Routine
Step 1: Oil cleanse with 100% pure Sweet Almond Oil
- I do this regardless of whether or not I am wearing makeup that day. This oil works great for breaking down makeup (you can also use coconut oil, but almond oil is not as heavy).
- I like to oil cleanse before using my normal cleanser because I find that it makes my skin softer and actually helps my skin to produce less oil naturally.
Step 2: Cleanse with the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
- This breaks down the oil really well, but you could also dampen a washcloth with warm water to gently remove the oil before this step.
Step 3: Tone with the Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner
- This toner is great if you have textured skin and/ or acne scarring.
- I NEVER use an exfoliant scrub on my face because it is way too harsh and can actually irritate the skin and cause more acne/ scarring.
- Glycolic acid is an amazing chemical exfoliant and I have found that this toner has really reduced my acne scarring drastically. It also works great with helping new pimples to go away quickly without leaving a mark.
Step 4: Moisturize with the CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion + Rosehip Seed Oil
- To boost the moisturizing benefits even more at night, I add in a few drops of 100% Rosehip Seed Oil to that same moisturizer. The oil absorbs really well into the skin and is great for acne scarring and has amazing anti-aging benefits.
- If you have dry skin, I recommend the CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream. This is a very thick and luxurious moisturizer that will help get rid of any dry patches you might have. I have gone through 2 jars of this stuff and I even love it with my oily skin!
*** As an added beauty tip, I will use a clean mascara wand to apply Vaseline to my lashes every night before I go to sleep. This has made my lashes grow like crazy!